[openstack-dev] supported dependency versioning and testing

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Thu Feb 20 23:06:25 UTC 2014

On 02/20/2014 05:50 PM, Christopher Yeoh wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Feb 2014 14:45:03 -0500
> Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:
>>
>> So I'm one of the first people to utter "if it isn't tested, it's
>> probably broken", however I also think we need to be realistic about
>> the fact that if you did out the permutations of dependencies and
>> config options, we'd have as many test matrix scenarios as grains of
>> sand on the planet.
>
> I think it makes sense to at test with all the most recent versions.
> Perhaps all the lowest as well, though I'm not sure how common that
> configuration would really be. And we can't do all of the various
> combinations.
>
> But how about testing on a periodic job the version
> configurations used by some of the major distros? So we know on which
> distros we're going to be broken on by default (if we don't get around
> to fixing them straight away) which will really help inform those
> trying out the latest from git. Or are the distros doing this anyway
> (either way having the info public and feeding back to our bug tracker
> would be handy).

Honestly, I think our experience in even doing a homogenous gate means I
think we should let the distros come in with 3rd party testing on those
results. Because we don't really have the bw, in either people or
machines, to explode that matrix much in infra.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America