[openstack-dev] [neutron] Ensure that configured gateway is on subnet by default

Veiga, Anthony Anthony_Veiga at cable.comcast.com
Thu Feb 20 14:34:50 UTC 2014

This would break IPv6.  The gateway address, according to RFC 4861[1] Section 4.2 regarding Router Advertisements: "Source Address MUST be the link-local address assigned to the interface from which this message is sent".  This means that if you configure a subnet with a Globally Unique Address scope, the gateway by definition cannot be in the configured subnet.  Please don't force this option, as it will break work going on in the Neutron IPv6 sub-team.
-Anthony

[1] http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4861

Hi,

Neutron permits to set a gateway IP outside of the subnet cidr by default. And, thanks to the garyk's patch [1], it's possible to change this default behavior with config flag 'force_gateway_on_subnet'.

This flag was added to keep the backward compatibility for people who need to set the gateway outside of the subnet.

I think this behavior does not reflect the classic usage of subnets. So I propose to update the default value of the flag 'force_gateway_on_subnet' to True.

Any thought?

[1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/19048/

Regards,
Édouard.