[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-dev][HEAT][Windows] Does HEAT support provisioning windows cluster

Jay Lau jay.lau.513 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 12:48:19 UTC 2014

Thanks Alexander for the detail explanation, really very helpful!

What I meant for a windows cluster is actually a windows application, such
as a WebSphere cluster or a hadoop windows cluster.

Seems I can use Cloudbase Init to do the post-deploy actions on windows,
but I cannot do some scale up or scale down for this cluster as currently
there is no cfn-tools for windows, is it correct?

Thanks,

Jay

> Hi Jay,
>
> Windows support in Heat is being developed, but is not complete yet,
> afaik. You may already use Cloudbase Init to do the post-deploy actions on
> windows - check [1] for the details.
>
> Meanwhile, running a windows cluster is a much more complicated task then
> just deploying a number of windows instances (if I understand you correctly
> and you speak about Microsoft Failover Cluster, see [2]): to build it in
> the cloud you will have to execute quite a complex workflow after the nodes
> are actually deployed, which is not possible with Heat (at least for now).
>
> Murano project ([3]) does this on top of Heat, as it was initially
> designed as Windows Data Center as a Service, so I suggest you too take a
> look at it. You may also check this video ([4]) which demonstrates how
> Murano is used to deploy a failover cluster of Windows 2012 with a
> clustered MS SQL server on top of it.
>

> [1] http://wiki.cloudbase.it/heat-windows
> [2] http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831579
> [3] https://wiki.openstack.org/Murano
> [4] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_CmrZfKy18
>
> --
> Regards,
> Alexander Tivelkov
>

> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM, Jay Lau <jay.lau.513 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Does HEAT support provisioning windows cluster?  If so, can I also use
>> user-data to do some post install work for windows instance? Is there any
>> example template for this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jay

Jay