[openstack-dev] [Horizon] [TripleO] [Tuskar] Thoughts on editing node profiles (aka flavors in Tuskar UI)

Dmitry Tantsur dtantsur at redhat.com
Thu Feb 20 11:40:03 UTC 2014

Hi.

While implementing CRUD operations for node profiles in Tuskar (which
are essentially Nova flavors renamed) I encountered editing of flavors
and I have some doubts about it.

Editing of nova flavors in Horizon is implemented as
deleting-then-creating with a _new_ flavor ID.
For us it essentially means that all links to flavor/profile (e.g. from
overcloud role) will become broken. We had the following proposals:
- Update links automatically after editing by e.g. fetching all
overcloud roles and fixing flavor ID. Poses risk of race conditions with
concurrent editing of either node profiles or overcloud roles.
  Even worse, are we sure that user really wants overcloud roles to be
updated?
- The same as previous but with confirmation from user. Also risk of
race conditions.
- Do not update links. User may be confused: operation called "edit"
should not delete anything, nor is it supposed to invalidate links. One
of the ideas was to show also deleted flavors/profiles in a separate
table.
- Implement clone operation instead of editing. Shows user a creation
form with data prefilled from original profile. Original profile will
stay and should be deleted manually. All links also have to be updated
manually.
- Do not implement editing, only creating and deleting (that's what I
did for now in https://review.openstack.org/#/c/73576/ ).

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks in advance,
Dmitry Tantsur