[openstack-dev] [TripleO][Tuskar] Dealing with passwords in Tuskar-API

Radomir Dopieralski openstack at sheep.art.pl
Thu Feb 20 11:02:32 UTC 2014

On 20/02/14 11:46, Dougal Matthews wrote:
> On 20/02/14 10:36, Radomir Dopieralski wrote:
>> On 20/02/14 11:21, Dougal Matthews wrote:
>>> If we do store passwords however, I wonder if we are
>>> best to encrypt everything to be safe. The overhead shouldn't be that
>>> big and it may be better than special casing the "NoEcho" values.
>>
>> I think that before we start encrypting everything, we need to ask
>> ourselves the question about system boundaries and about what we are
>> protecting from what. Otherwise we will end up with ridiculous things
>> like encrypting the passwords and storing the decryption key right in
>> the same place. In other words, this has to be designed.
>
> Absolutely. I couldn't agree more and hope I didn't suggest otherwise :)

So what is the smallest subsystem (or subsystems) that needs those
passwords, and what storage it has access to that other subsystems
don't, so we could put the key there?

As I see it, the passwords are needed by:

* Heat, for generating the templates (may be passed from Tuskar-API),
* Tuskar-API, for passing them to Heat and for registering services in
  Keystone,
* Tuskar-UI, if we want to display them to the user on request (do
  we?), may also be passed from Tuskar-API.

What is the storage that Tuskar-API has access to, but other parts
don't? I would guess that's the Tuskar database. But that's where
the passwords are already stored, so storing the key there doesn't
make much sense. Anybody who gets access to Tuskar-API gets the
passwords, whether we encrypt them or not. Anybody who doesn't have
access to Tuskar-API doesn't get the passwords, whether we encrypt
them or not.

--
Radomir Dopieralski