[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Disscussion about to allow specific floating IP Address

Yuuichi Fujioka fujioka-yuuichi at zx.mxh.nes.nec.co.jp
Thu Feb 20 04:34:51 UTC 2014

Hi, folks.

I have posted a patch to allow specific IP address of floating IP. [1]

My motivation is to rescue some cases.

In the below case, the floating IP address should be specified.

 An organization wants to migrate the system to the private cloud (OpenStack).
 The system  has an in-office public IP address that is accessed by the network in the office.
 There is a case where we cannot change the IP address for some reasons.

I understand that the design decision is prohibiting specific floating IP address.
But I hope to rethinking about it.
I think there are users who want to use the function.

I propose a following solution.([1] is not enabled yet)

* In default, the Specific floating IP address is prohibited even if user is admin.
* When setting policy.json to allow, it is able to use.
 e.g. if the policy is "rule:admin_only", non-admin cannot set.

I would like to get your feedback.

 [1] https://review.openstack.org/#/c/70286/

Thanks.