[openstack-dev] [Nova] v3 API in Icehouse

Christopher Yeoh cbkyeoh at gmail.com
Thu Feb 20 02:44:11 UTC 2014

On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 12:36:46 -0500
Russell Bryant <rbryant at redhat.com> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> The v3 API effort has been going for a few release cycles now.  As we
> approach the Icehouse release, we are faced with the following
> question: "Is it time to mark v3 stable?"
>
> My opinion is that I think we need to leave v3 marked as experimental
> for Icehouse.

Although I'm very eager to get the V3 API released, I do agree with you.
As you have said we will be living with both the V2 and V3 APIs for a
very long time. And at this point there would be simply too many last
minute changes to the V3 API for us to be confident that we have it
right "enough" to release as a stable API.

> We really don't want to be in a situation where we're having to force
> any sort of migration to a new API.  The new API should be compelling
> enough that everyone *wants* to migrate to it.  If that's not the
> case, we haven't done our job.

+1

> Let's all take some time to reflect on what has happened with v3 so
> far and what it means for how we should move forward.  We can regroup
> for Juno.
>
> Finally, I would like to thank everyone who has helped with the effort
> so far.  Many hours have been put in to code and reviews for this.  I
> would like to specifically thank Christopher Yeoh for his work here.
> Chris has done an *enormous* amount of work on this and deserves
> credit for it.  He has taken on a task much bigger than anyone
> anticipated. Thanks, Chris!

Thanks Russell, that's much appreciated. I'm also very thankful to
everyone who has worked on the V3 API either through patches and/or
reviews, especially Alex Xu and Ivan Zhu who have done a lot of work on
it in Havana and Icehouse.

Chris.