[openstack-dev] [nova][oslo] Changes to oslo-incubator sync workflow

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Thu Feb 20 02:27:19 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 8:13 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> As many of you know most oslo-incubator code is wildly out of sync.
> Assuming we consider it a good idea to sync up oslo-incubator code
> before cutting Icehouse, then we have a problem.
>
> Today oslo-incubator code is synced in ad-hoc manor, resulting in
> duplicated efforts and wildly out of date code. Part of the challenges
> today are backwards incompatible changes and new oslo bugs. I expect
> that once we get a single project to have an up to date oslo-incubator
> copy it will make syncing a second project significantly easier. So
> because I (hopefully) have some karma built up in nova, I would like
> to volunteer nova to be the guinea pig.

Thank you for volunteering to spear-head this, Joe.

> To fix this I would like to propose starting an oslo-incubator/nova
> sync team. They would be responsible for getting nova's oslo code up
> to date.  I expect this work to involve:
> * Reviewing lots of oslo sync patches
> * Tracking the current sync patches
> * Syncing over the low hanging fruit, modules that work without changing
> nova.
> * Reporting bugs to oslo team
> * Working with oslo team to figure out how to deal with backwards
> incompatible changes
>   * Update nova code or make oslo module backwards compatible
> * Track all this
> * Create a roadmap for other projects to follow (re: documentation)
>
> I am looking for volunteers to help with this effort, any takers?

I will help, especially with reviews and tracking.

We are going to want someone from the team working on the db modules to
participate as well, since we know that's one area where the API has
diverged some (although we did take backwards compatibility into account).
Victor, can you help find us a volunteer?

Doug