[openstack-dev] Gerrit co-authors and ticket stealing

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 18:57:06 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 12:33 PM, Dan Prince <dprince at redhat.com> wrote:

> Perhaps one of the lesser know Gerrit "features" is the ability to
> overwrite someone else's patchset/review with a new revision. This can be a
> handy thing for collaboration, or perhaps to make minor edits (spelling
> fixes for example) to help expedite the review process. Generally I think
> things are fine and friendly on this front. There are a couple side effect
> behaviors that can occur.

o/ I do this regularly to help authors land their intended changes
(hopefully with less frustration than they would otherwise experience).
Most frequently, if the only thing holding me back from a +1 / +2 is a few
nits, I'll leave some brief review feedback on the current patchset, and
submit a subsequent patchset with the nits fixed, and leave a +1 / +2.

> Things like: Changing the author or adding yourself as a co-author.
> Changing the original author should almost never happen (I'm not sure that
> it has). Adding yourself as a co-author is less of an issue, but is also
> somewhat questionable if for example all you've done is re-worded something
> or fixed a spelling issue. So long as the original author is in the know
> here I think it is probably fine to add yourself as a co-author. But making
> more meaningful changes, even to a commit message should be checked ahead
> of time so as not to disrupt the intent of the original authors patch IMO.

+1 absolutely agree with these guidelines. Continuing the above, when I
want to make more meaningful changes, I either A) suggest a pastebin's diff
to the author, or B) go ahead and make the changes but ask that the
original author review the latest patchset themselves and express a +1 to
acknowledge the result.

Leaving clear Gerrit feedback on the most recent patchset/commit with a -1
> should do just fine in most cases if you would like a meaningful change and
> aren't closely collaborating (already) on the fix...
>
> It has also come to my attention that co-authoring a patch steals the
> Launchpad ticket. I believe this is something that we should watch closely
> (and perhaps fix if we can).

+1 I used to make a habit of jumping to the bug and assigning the bug
"back," but depending on your definition of "steal" (what does it actually
impact?), I'm not sure it's worth the effort? Regardless, I'd appreciate it
if the LP bot implementing this behavior used the Author (which as you
alluded, must be manually revised, e.g. `git commit --amend --author`) on
the commit rather than the Committer.

> Not trying to point the finger at anyone specifically here. I've probably
> been guilty of clobbering violations and/or accidental ticket stealing
> myself. We just need to be careful with these more advanced collaborative
> coding workflows so as not to step on each others toes.

Thanks for bringing this up! Gerrit provides for some powerful workflows
and I'd love it if the community was more comfortable taking advantage of
them.