[openstack-dev] [solum] Question about solum-minimal-cli BP

Adrian Otto adrian.otto at rackspace.com
Wed Feb 19 16:28:17 UTC 2014

> On Feb 17, 2014, at 3:58 PM, "Angus Salkeld" <angus.salkeld at rackspace.com> wrote:
>
>> On 17/02/14 21:47 +0000, Shaunak Kashyap wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> I was reading through https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Solum/FeatureBlueprints/CLI-minimal-implementation and have a question.
>>
>> If I’m understanding “app create” and “assembly create” correctly, the user will have to run “app create” first, followed by “assembly create” to have a running application. Is this correct? If so, what is the reason for “app create” not automatically creating one assembly as well?
>
> On that page it seems that "app create" is the same as "plan create".
>
> The only reason I can see for seperating the plan from the assembly is
> when you have "git-push".
> Then you need to have something create the git repo for you.
>
> 1 plan create (with a reference to a git-push requirement) would create
>  the remote git repo for you.
> 2 you clone and populate the repo with your app code
> 3 you push, and that causes the assembly create/update.
>
> Adrian might want to correct my here tho'

Angus is right. This is the key difference between a flow that uses "app/plan create" and one that just does "assembly create" and passes in a plan file by value.

The main idea of a plan resource is so you have an in-system reference of the deployment plan so you can easily reference it (like a template) to create an arbitrary number of matching assemblies from it. It's also a convenient place to hang initialization requirements that need to be met before you start generating assemblies, like the creation of a git repo.

Adrian