[openstack-dev] [Nova] Meetup Summary

Sylvain Bauza sylvain.bauza at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 10:18:14 UTC 2014

Hi Toan-Tran,

> > Agreed. I'm just thinking on the opportunity of providing a REST API
>
> > on top of the scheduler RPC API with a 1:1 matching, so that the Gantt
>
> > project would step up by itself. I don't think it's a hard stuff,
> provided I
>
> > already did that stuff for Climate (providing Pecan/WSME API). What
>
> > do you think about it ? Even if it's not top priority, that's a quickwin.
>

> Well, I'm not sure about "quickwin", though J I think that we should
> focus on the main objective of having a self-contained Gantt working with
> Nova first. Some of the interaction issues still worry me, especially the
> host_state & host_update queries. These issues will have impact on the
> Gantt API (at least for Nova to use), so I'm not sure the current RPC API
> will hold up either. But I will not discourage any personal effort J

Well, about the 2 things : first, the REST API would just be a mapping 1:1
of the scheduler RPC API, ie select_destinations(), run_instance() and
prep_resize(). The arguments passed to the object would just be serialized
in a POST query with JSON/XML data and deserialized/passed to the RPC API.
Think it as a REST wrapper, no hard stuff.

About the host_state that's something that has been discussed yesterday,
Gantt first has to provide a python lib for the calls to
update_from_compute_node, but that could also be managed thanks to a CLI
python binding later on.

-Sylvain