[openstack-dev] help the oslo team help you

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 02:03:53 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 12:16 PM, Doug Hellmann
<doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:
> If you have a change in your project that is blocked waiting for a patch to
> land in oslo (in the incubator, or any of the libraries we manage) *please*
> either open a blueprint or mark the associated bug as also affecting the
> relevant oslo project, then let me know about it so I can put it on our
> review priority list. We have a lot going on in oslo right now, but will do
> our best to prioritize reviews that affect features landing in other
> projects -- if you let us know about them.

While I don't think this is what you meant when you said let oslo help
you, I do have a request:

While trying to do a basic oslo-incubator update ('./update.sh
--nodeps --modules fixture --base nova --dest-dir ../nova')  I hit a
bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/oslo/+bug/1281860

Due to the nature of oslo-incubator (it may break at any time) it is
hard for downstream projects (nova, cinder etc.) to keep there
oslo-incubator copies up to date, so when someone wants to sync across
a new change they have to deal with many unrelated changes, some of
which may break things. For example

oslo-incubator$ ./update.sh --config-file
../cinder/openstack-common.conf --base cinder --dest-dir ../cinder
cinder$ git diff --stat HEAD

I would like to propose making the oslo team responsible for syncing
across oslo-incubator code, they know the code base best and can fix
things when they break.  This doesn't mean no one else can use
update.sh it just means that the oslo team would make sure that syncs
are done in a timely fashion, so the diffs don't get too big.