[openstack-dev] [Network] Allocate MAC and IP address for a VM instance

Amir Sadoughi amir.sadoughi at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Feb 18 19:32:00 UTC 2014

Hi all,

In Rackspace's quark plugin (github.com/rackerlabs/quark), we’ve developed an extension for MAC address ranges (MARs) as a top-level resource. Thus, the Neutron service manages the MAC address allocation from a pool of ranges (as opposed to randomly generating a MAC address). However, we haven’t made a relationship between MARs and subnets/networks.

Amir

On Feb 18, 2014, at 11:24 AM, Tim Bell <Tim.Bell at cern.ch> wrote:

> Jay,
>
> We've got a similar requirement at CERN where we would like to have pools of ip/mac combinations for each subnet and have it so that the user is just allocated one (and for the same subnet that the hypervisor is on).
>
> We've not found a good solution so far.
>
> Tim

>>> 2) 78:2b:cb:af:78:b1, 192.168.0.11
>>> 3) 78:2b:cb:af:78:b2, 192.168.0.12