[openstack-dev] [neutron][policy] Using network services with network policies

Mohammad Banikazemi mb at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 18 18:33:02 UTC 2014

Thanks Sumit and Stephen for information provided.

It appears to me that we can (and should) use the notion of
services/service chains within the group policy extension (and that has
been always one of our options). If this is a reasonable approach, then we
need to see how we can bring in these services to our group policy and if
there are changes we may require.

The first thing that comes to mind is to have a new service insertion
context, namely policy (or should it be policy_rule?). If that is in place,
then a service chain (we can start with a chain of one single service) gets
created with it's context set to a particular policy. While the service
plugin is responsible for standing up the service, the connectivity is
established through the implementation of the group policy extension, in
particular the "redirect" action. Is this a reasonable approach? This
approach requires some kind of coordination wrt how these operations are
done by the service plugin and the group policy extension. May be a policy
simply provides the insertion context for creation of the service chain (in
isolation and by the appropriate service plugin) and policy rules are then
used to make the service operational. This is different from how services
are expected to be instantiated right now. Right? Thinking aloud here.
Please comment.

A lot of interesting things to work on. May be Juno is where all these
efforts come to fruition together :)

Mohammad