[openstack-dev] How to implement and configure a new Neutron vpnaas driver from scratch?

Julio Carlos Barrera Juez juliocarlos.barrera at i2cat.net
Mon Feb 17 11:18:44 UTC 2014

Hi.

I have asked in the Q&A website without success (
https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/12072/how-to-implement-and-configure-a-new-vpnaas-driver-from-scratch/
).

I want to develop a vpnaas implementation. It seems that since Havana,
there are plugins, services and device implementations. I like the plugin
and his current API, then I don't need to reimplement it. Now I want yo
implement a vpnaas driver, and I see I have two main parts to take into
account: the service_drivers and the device_drivers. IPsec/OpenSwan
implementation is the unique sample I've found.

I'm using devstack to test my experiments.

I tried to implement VpnDriver Python class extending the main API methods
like IPsecVPNDriver does. I placed basic implementation files at the same
level of IPsec/OpenSwan does and configured Neutron adding this line to
/etc/neutron/neutron.conf file:

service_provider =
VPN:VPNaaS:neutron.services.vpn.service_drivers.our_python_filename.OurClassName:default

I restarted Neutron related services in my devstack instance, but it seemed
it didn't work.

- What is the difference between service drivers and device drivers?
- Could I implement only one of them?
- Where I need to put my Python implementation in my OpenStack instance?
- How could I configure my OpenStack instance to use this implementation?

I didn't find almost any documentation about these topics.

Thank you very much.