[openstack-dev] [Murano] Need a new DSL for Murano

Renat Akhmerov rakhmerov at mirantis.com
Mon Feb 17 07:33:04 UTC 2014

Clint,

We're collaborating with Murano. We may need to do it in a way that others could see it though. There are several things here:
Murano doesn’t really have a “workflow engine” similar to Mistral’s. People get confused with that but it’s just a legacy terminology, I think Murano folks were going to rename this component to be more precise about it.
Mistral DSL doesn’t seem to be a good option for solving tasks that Murano is intended to solve. Specifically I mean things like complex object composition, description of data types, contracts and so on. Like Alex and Stan mentioned Murano DSL tends to grow into a full programming language.
Most likely Mistral will be used in Murano for implementation, at least we see where it would be valuable. But Mistral is not so matured yet, we need to keep working hard and be patient :)

Anyway, we keep thinking on how to make both languages look similar or at least the possibility to use them seamlessly, if needed (call Mistral workflows from Murano DSL or vice versa).

Renat Akhmerov
@ Mirantis Inc.