[openstack-dev] [OpenStack-Infra] [TripleO] promoting devtest_seed and devtest_undercloud to voting, + experimental queue for nova/neutron etc.

James E. Blair jeblair at openstack.org
Fri Feb 14 23:21:49 UTC 2014

Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> writes:

> On 02/14/2014 03:43 PM, Robert Collins wrote:
>> Thanks to a massive push this week, both the seed *and* undercloud
>> jobs are now passing on tripleo-gate nodes, but they are not yet
>> voting.
>>
>> I'd kind of like to get them voting on tripleo jobs (check only). We
>> don't have 2 clouds yet, so if the tripleo ci-cloud suffers a failure,
>> we'd have -1's everywhere. I think this would be an ok tradeoff (its
>> check after all), but I'd like -infra admin folks opinion on this -
>> would it cause operational headaches for you, over and above the
>> current risks w/ the tripleo-ci cloud?

You won't end up with -1's everywhere, you'll end up with jobs stuck in
the queue indefinitely, as we saw when the tripleo cloud failed
recently.  What's worse is that now that positive check results are
required for enqueuing into the gate, you will also not be able to merge
anything.

>> OTOH - we actually got passing ops with a fully deployed virtual cloud
>> - which is awesome.

Great! :)

>> Now we need to push through to having the overcloud deploy tests pass,
>> then the other scenarios we depend on - upgrades w/rebuild, and we'll
>> be in good shape to start optimising (pre-heated clouds, local distro
>> mirrors etc) and broadening (other distros ...).
>>
>> Lastly, I'm going to propose a merge to infra/config to put our
>> undercloud story (which exercises the seed's ability to deploy via
>> heat with bare metal) as a check experimental job on our dependencies
>> (keystone, glance, nova, neutron) - if thats ok with those projects?
>>
>> -Rob
>
> My biggest concern with adding this to check experimental, is the
> experimental results aren't published back until all the experimental
> jobs are done.
>
> We've seen really substantial delays, plus a 5 day complete outage a
> week ago, on the tripleo cloud. I'd like to see that much more proven
> before it starts to impact core projects, even in experimental.

Until the tripleo cloud is multi-region, HA, and has a proven track
record of reliability, we can't have jobs that run on its nodes in any
pipeline for any non-tripleo project, for those reasons.  I do look
forward to when that is the case.

-Jim