[openstack-dev] "bad" default values in conf files

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 21:19:59 UTC 2014

On Fri, 2014-02-14 at 11:30 -0800, Greg C wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com>
> wrote:
>
>         Defaults in conf files seem to be one of the following:
>
>         - Generic, appropriate for most situations
>         - Appropriate for devstack
>         - Appropriate for small, distro-based deployment
>         - Approprate for large deployment
>

>  In my experiences in creating OpenStack production systems, it
> appears the answer is mostly "Appropriate for devstack".  I haven't
> used devstack myself, only created production systems from Openstack
> releases.  For practically every openstack component the message queue
> config is missing

Actually, every OpenStack component has MQ configs in their conf files,
and well documented:

Nova MQ configs:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/etc/nova/nova.conf.sample#L9-L187

Cinder:

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/etc/cinder/cinder.conf.sample#L610-L815

Keystone:

https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/master/etc/keystone.conf.sample#L141-L163

Glance:

https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/etc/glance-api.conf#L246-L283

Neutron:

https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/etc/neutron.conf#L105-L175

Ceilometer:

https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/etc/ceilometer/ceilometer.conf.sample#L305-L475

> , and every api-paste.ini needs a [filter:authtoken] section for
> keystone.

Actually, every OpenStack project has this in their regular conf files:

Nova:

https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/etc/nova/nova.conf.sample#L2624

Cinder:

https://github.com/openstack/cinder/blob/master/etc/cinder/cinder.conf.sample#L1879

Glance:

https://github.com/openstack/glance/blob/master/etc/glance-api.conf#L551

Neutron:

https://github.com/openstack/neutron/blob/master/etc/neutron.conf#L332

Ceilometer:

https://github.com/openstack/ceilometer/blob/master/etc/ceilometer/ceilometer.conf.sample#L713

> It appears to me that those things are somehow covered when using
> devstack.  Besides having to be added, the pitfall this creates is
> that documentation for releases will not point out that they need to
> be added and configured, because somehow devstack doesn't require it.

I'm not sure why you think this. What configuration management system
are you using to deploy OpenStack?

> I use a VLAN model of networking as well, which as far as I can tell
> devstack doesn't test/support,

Incorrect. export NETWORK_MANAGER=VlanManager in your localrc.

> so I have to chase down a bunch of other config items that are missing
> and scarcely documented.  The whole thing is quite a chore.  I don't
> know why those common keystone and message queue configs can't be in
> there from the start.

They are.

Best,
-jay