[openstack-dev] "bad" default values in conf files

Greg C agregc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 19:30:43 UTC 2014

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 6:38 AM, David Kranz <dkranz at redhat.com> wrote:

> Defaults in conf files seem to be one of the following:
>
> - Generic, appropriate for most situations
> - Appropriate for devstack
> - Appropriate for small, distro-based deployment
> - Approprate for large deployment

 In my experiences in creating OpenStack production systems, it appears the
answer is mostly "Appropriate for devstack".  I haven't used devstack
myself, only created production systems from Openstack releases.  For
practically every openstack component the message queue config is missing,
and every api-paste.ini needs a [filter:authtoken] section for keystone.

It appears to me that those things are somehow covered when using
devstack.  Besides having to be added, the pitfall this creates is that
documentation for releases will not point out that they need to be added
and configured, because somehow devstack doesn't require it.

I use a VLAN model of networking as well, which as far as I can tell
devstack doesn't test/support, so I have to chase down a bunch of other
config items that are missing and scarcely documented.  The whole thing is
quite a chore.  I don't know why those common keystone and message queue
configs can't be in there from the start.