[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Neutron Tempest code sprint - 2nd week of January, Montreal, QC, Canada

Anita Kuno anteaya at anteaya.info
Fri Feb 14 16:54:39 UTC 2014

Time for a summary:

Neutron Tempest Code Sprint Summary
Where: Montreal, QC, Canada
When: January 15, 16, 17 2014
Location: Salle du Parc at 3625 Parc avenue, a room in a residence of
McGill University.
Time: 9am - 5pm (8am - 6pm for some)

Purpose:
    to focus on the stability of Neutron
    to address gaps in Neutron testing
    to help Neutron developers recognize other Neutron developers by
face and name

General:
    The code sprint was very successful in stimulating conversation
between developers. Having the time to exchange ideas and having access
to others who were able to discuss issues, either long standing or new,
was valuable for supporting a sense of collaborative group work. The
venue was supportive in that it was quiet and requirements were
unobtrusive and available so that people could focus on their work. The
wifi gave us a hiccup since the port gerrit uses probably alerted a
system firewall, but work arounds were found and work continued.

Stats:
    23 developers, 3 days

Group Size:
    We had 23 people attend, but immediate split into multiple teams
focused on predeterimined areas of stability and testing.  We only held
one large group session to solicit feedback on the structure of the
meetup.  The general feeling is that the maximum group size should not
exceed 30 to ensure efficiency for all that are there.

Location:
    Canada: we had one person ask for a letter of invitation in time to
receive it to get a visa, he was granted a visa and attended - he did
tell me that he has requested a visa to travel to the US previously and
been denied - this person has recently been proposed as Neutron core
    Quebec: I don't recall any conversations anyone had about having
difficulty with language issues
    Montreal: it has an international airport, reasonable prices for
food and accommodation, the weather was not as bad as I had thought it
might have been, noone took off to be tourist since the days were all
rather grey

Outcomes:
    Some specific code items were addressed [0]

    Changes to support isolated testing were completed

    Improvements to enable parallel testing Improvements

    Significant improvement in Tempest API test cases

    Work to enable grenade testing to validate upgrade

Some developers who had never met in person previously had an
opportunity to sit down with others and work together.
The build up to the event helped to bring some focus to the importance
of testing in Neutron. It also brought some attention to how isolated
some Neutron developers are from the other OpenStack projects with an
eye to addressing this isolation - even how isolated some developers are
with the rest of Neutron.

I felt that contributors to other projects were willing to spend more
time than they had been, supporting Neutron's efforts to address testing
gaps, due to the fact that there was a commitment to doing so that had a
very public focus.

One interesting outcome was the number of people who responded
favourably to the question on the evaluation [1] about approaching their
managers to request more time to work on Neutron upstream. I consider
that favourable outcome. I have no way of knowing if anyone actually did
request more time of their manager, and if they did ask, what response
they received.

I think the code sprint represented a target of stability in a release
focused on stability. I think it was a talking point that had some
positive outcomes itself but also was the catalyst for other discussions
for Neutron in Icehouse as a whole.

[0] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/montreal-code-sprint
[1] https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/montreal-code-sprint-evaluation

Next an apology for me. Just after code sprint, I was injured and didn't
realize it for about 2 weeks, so in the midst of being in pain and then
working on healing myself, I didn't get this summary out in the time
frame I had hoped to get the summary out. I apologize to those folks who
needed this summary earlier. I hope this information is still useful now.

My thanks to all those who made this happen. To the Foundation, to all
the PTLs from other projects who supported this event and to all those
who attended and the managers who supported that attendance. And to Mark
McClain and Salvatore Orlando, thank you both so much.

Thank you,
Anita.