[openstack-dev] [Mistral] Notes on action YAML declaration and naming

Dmitri Zimine dz at stackstorm.com
Fri Feb 14 08:02:06 UTC 2014

We touched this on review https://review.openstack.org/#/c/73205/, and fixed a bit, bringing it up here to further discuss at slightly higher level.

Let's go over a tiny bit of  YAML definition, clarifying terminology on the way.

Current DSL snippet:
actions:
   my-action
      parameters:
          foo: bar
          response: # just agreed to change to 'results'
              select: '$.server_id'
              store_as: v1

In the code, we refer to action.result_helper

1) Note that response is not exactly a parameter. It doesn't doesn't refer to data. It's  (query, variable) pairs, that are used to parse the results and post data to global context [1]. The terms response, or result, do not reflect what is actually happening here. Suggestions? Save? Publish? Result Handler?

2) Whichever name we use for this output transformer, shall it be under parameters?

3) how do we call action/task parameters? Think 'model' (which reflects in yaml,  code, docs, talk, etc.)
   input and output? (+1)
   in and out? (-1)
   request and response? (-1) good for WebServices but not generic enough
   parameters and results? (ok)

4) Syntax simplification: can we drop 'parameters' keyword? Anything under action is action parameters, unless it's a reserved keyword, which the implementation can parse out.

actions:
   my-action
          foo: bar
          task-parameters: # not a keyword, specific to REST_API
              flavor_id:
              image_id:
          publish:  # keyword
              select: '$.server_id'
              store_as: v1

[1] Save discussing the way we work with data flow, and talking alternatives, to the next time.

DZ.