[openstack-dev] [Solum] Question about Zuul's role in Solum

Clint Byrum clint at fewbar.com
Thu Feb 13 14:37:55 UTC 2014

Excerpts from Julien Vey's message of 2014-02-13 05:18:19 -0800:
> Hi,
>
> I have some concerns about using Zuul in Solum
>
> I agree gating is a great feature but it is not useful for every project
> and as Adrian said, not understood by everyone.
> I think many Solum users, and PaaS users in general, are
> single-project/single-build/simple git worklow and do not care about gating.

The gate can be a noop. Easier to insert more gate tests when it matters
than it is to swap out technologies at that time.

> I see 2 drawbacks with Zuul :
> - Tenant Isolation : How do we allow access on zuul (and jenkins) for a
> specific tenant in isolation to the others tenants using Solum.

Same way Trove has a mysql database per tenant I presume.

> - Build customization : One of the biggest advantage of Jenkins is its
> ecosystem and the many build customization it offers. Using zuul will
> prohibit this.

Nobody is saying you can't use Jenkins. People are saying use Zuul and
get more than Jenkins. But go on and use Jenkins as well.

> About Gerrit, I think it is also a little too much. Many users have their
> own reviewing system, Pull requests with github, bitbucket or stash, their
> own instance of gerrit, or even a custom git workflow.
> Gerrit would be a great feature for future versions of Solum. but only as
> an optionnal one, we should not force people into it.

Agreed on that.