[openstack-dev] [Solum] Question about Zuul's role in Solum

CARVER, PAUL pc2929 at att.com
Thu Feb 13 14:04:04 UTC 2014

Julien Vey wrote:

>About Gerrit, I think it is also a little too much. Many users have their
> own reviewing system, Pull requests with github, bitbucket or stash,
>their own instance of gerrit, or even a custom git workflow.
>Gerrit would be a great feature for future versions of Solum. but only
>as an optionnal one, we should not force people into it.

I'm just an observer since I haven't managed to negotiate the CLA hurdle with my employer yet, but Gerrit seems to me to work fantastically well.

If there are better options than Gerrit that people are using I'd be interested in hearing about them. I'm always interested in learning who has the best in class tool for any particular task. However I think that having multiple tools for the same job within OpenStack is going to be a bad idea that results in confusion and difficulty in cooperation.

Now, if the intention is for Solum to NOT be an OpenStack project that's fine. OpenStack can use and be used by lots of projects that aren't part of it. But if someone learns the tools and processes for one OpenStack project they ought to be able to jump right into any other OpenStack project without having to worry about what code review tool, or other tools or processes are different from one to the next.