[openstack-dev] [Solum] Question about Zuul's role in Solum

Julien Vey vey.julien at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 13:18:19 UTC 2014

Hi,

I have some concerns about using Zuul in Solum

I agree gating is a great feature but it is not useful for every project
and as Adrian said, not understood by everyone.
I think many Solum users, and PaaS users in general, are
single-project/single-build/simple git worklow and do not care about gating.

I see 2 drawbacks with Zuul :
- Tenant Isolation : How do we allow access on zuul (and jenkins) for a
specific tenant in isolation to the others tenants using Solum.
- Build customization : One of the biggest advantage of Jenkins is its
ecosystem and the many build customization it offers. Using zuul will
prohibit this.

About Gerrit, I think it is also a little too much. Many users have their
own reviewing system, Pull requests with github, bitbucket or stash, their
own instance of gerrit, or even a custom git workflow.
Gerrit would be a great feature for future versions of Solum. but only as
an optionnal one, we should not force people into it.

Julien