[openstack-dev] healthnmon and devstack

Dean Troyer dtroyer at gmail.com
Thu Feb 13 01:04:10 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 6:13 PM, Paulo Rômulo <p.romuloo at gmail.com> wrote:

> My name is Paulo, I'm a software engineer from Brazil and just getting
> started with OpenStack development using *devstack*. I'm working on a
> project which one the goals is to monitor resource usage (at first
> *cpu_util*), considering both VM instances and their hosts.

Welcome!

> I'm using Ubuntu server 12.04. I've tried to build *healthnmon* from git,
> but the generated Debian package depends on python-novaclient and
> python-glance, whose *devstack* already installs. Dpkg doesn't detect the
> *devstack* installation of nova and glance, so I'm not sure of how can I
> enable *healthnmon* services from *devstack* (maybe editing *stack.sh* by
> hand?).

DevStack builds everything supplied by OpenStack and Stackforge projects
from source, so anything extra that you want to use with dependencies on
OpenStack projects will also have to be installed in a similar manner.

One approach would be to build a file in devstack/lib to do the install,
configure and startup steps for healthmon.  You can use lib/template as a
starting point and refer to the other service files for reference.
 lib/glance is one of the simpler ones.  You would also need a file in
devstack/extras.d to hook into stack.sh, again use one of the existing
files as a starting point, they are all very similar.

You will need at a minimum to
- check out the source repo - install_XXX()
- do any configuration - configure_XXX()
- start the service - maybe init_XXX(), definitely start_XXX()
- stop the service - stop_XXX()

The dispatch file in extras.d should start with >80 so it runs last, that
way all of the dependencies that come from the OpenStack repos will be in
place already.

You should be able to just drop these files into an existing DevStack
checkout and go.

dt

--

Dean Troyer