[openstack-dev] [All]Optional dependencies and requirements.txt

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Feb 12 20:58:04 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This is an issue that has come up recently in tripleo as we try to
support more varied configurations.  Currently qpid-python is not listed
in requirements.txt for many of the OpenStack projects, even though they
support using Qpid as a messaging broker.  This means that when we
install from source in tripleo we have to dynamically add a line to
requirements.txt if we want to use Qpid (we pip install -r to handle
deps).  There seems to be disagreement over the correct way to handle
this, so Joe requested on my proposed Nova change that I raise the issue
here.

There's already some discussion on the bug here:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/heat/+bug/1225191 as well as a separate
Neutron bug here: https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1225232

If there's a better alternative to "require all the things" I'm
certainly interested to hear it.  I expect we're going to hit this more
in the future as we add support for other optional backends for services
and such.

Thanks.

-Ben