[openstack-dev] Interested in attracting new contributors?

Dolph Mathews dolph.mathews at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 20:42:17 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 8:30 AM, Julie Pichon <jpichon at redhat.com> wrote:

> I can definitely sympathise with the comment in Stefano's article that
> there are not enough easy tasks / simple issues for newcomers. There's
> a lot to learn already when you're starting out (git, gerrit, python,
> devstack, ...) and simple bugs are so hard to find - something that
> will take a few minutes to an existing contributor will take much
> longer for someone who's still figuring out where to get the code
> from.

My counterargument to this is to jump straight into
http://review.openstack.org/ (which happens to be publicly available to
newcomers).

Easy tasks / simple issues (i.e. nits!) are *frequently* cited in code
review, and although our community tends to get hung up on seeing them
fixed prior merging the patchset in question (sometimes with good reason,
sometimes due to arbitrary opinion), that doesn't always happen (for
example, it's not worth delaying approval of an important patch to see a
typo fixed in an inline comment) and isn't always appropriate (such as,
"this other thing over here should be refactored").

There's a lot of such scenarios where new contributors can quickly find
things to contribute, or at lest provide incredibly valuable feedback to
the project in the form of reviews! As a bonus, new contributors jumping
straight into reviews tend to get up to speed on the code base *much* more
quickly than they otherwise would (IMO), as they become directly involved
in design discussions, etc.