[openstack-dev] [Ironic] [TripleO] Goal setting // progress towards integration

Matt Wagner matt.wagner at redhat.com
Wed Feb 12 20:34:35 UTC 2014

<heavy snipping ensues>
On Wed Feb 12 14:40:27 2014, Devananda van der Veen wrote:

>   https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ironic/+spec/serial-console-access
>   I believe some folks are using this, even though the TripleO team is
> not, and I personally never used the feature in Nova baremetal.
>   IBM contributed code to implement this in Ironic, but the patch
> #64100 has been abandoned for some time. We need to revive this and
> continue the work.

I have started to look at this. However, I am pretty new to the project
and this looks fairly involved. I'm more than willing to jump in and
give it my all, but I don't want to formally claim this whole task
without being confident that I can complete it in time (which I am not).

If someone more experienced picks this up, I will switch to helping
them; until then I will carry on with trying to test + fix up the
existing patch.

>  But I would like the expectation to be clearly set -- the core team
> has a lot on its plate, and vendor features aren't part of our
> critical path right now, so don't expect them to get much attention
> from us unless we finish everything else.

The core team is pretty small. Do you think growing the core team to
include some of the other regular contributors would help to ease the
burden?

> There are also several reviews up just to do code cleanup and
> refactoring of some base classes. I think we should land these
> immediately and deal with any nits in subsequent patches to reduce the
> queue backlog and speed up development.

Big +1 from me on this. (I'd love to see this as more common practice in
the community overall, IMHO. Don't merge anything broken, but address
the "it would be neat if..." tasks in new patches instead of repeatedly
-1'ing good patches.)

Kind regards,

--
Matt Wagner