[openstack-dev] [QA] The future of nosetests with Tempest

Matthew Treinish mtreinish at kortar.org
Wed Feb 12 19:57:04 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 12, 2014 at 11:32:39AM -0700, Matt Riedemann wrote:

> On 1/17/2014 8:34 AM, Matthew Treinish wrote:

> >>I'm with you up to here.

> >>The way we handle different runners/os can be categorized as "tested
> >>in gate", "unsupported" (should work, possibly some hacks needed),
> >>and "hostile". At present, both nose and py2.6 I would say are in
> >>the unsupported category. The title of this message and the content
> >>up to here says we are moving nose to the hostile category. With
> >>only 2 months to feature freeze I see no justification in moving
> >>py2.6 to the hostile category. I don't see what new testing features
> >>scheduled for the next two months will be enabled by saying that
> >>tempest cannot and will not run on 2.6. It has been agreed I think
> >>by all projects that py2.6 will be dropped in J. It is OK that py2.6
> >>will require some hacks to work and if in the next few months it
> >>needs a few more then that is ok. If I am missing another connection
> >>between the py2.6 and nose issues, please explain.
> >>

> >So honestly we're already at this point in tempest. Nose really just doesn't
> >work with tempest, and we're adding more features to tempest, your negative test
> >generator being one of them, that interfere further with nose. I've seen several
>
> I disagree here, my team is running Tempest API, CLI and scenario
> tests every day with nose on RHEL 6 with minimal issues.  I had to
> workaround the negative test discovery by simply sed'ing that out of
> the tests before running it, but that's acceptable to me until we
> can start testing on RHEL 7.  Otherwise I'm completely OK with
> saying py26 isn't really supported and isn't used in the gate, and
> it's a buyer beware situation to make it work, which includes
> pushing up trivial patches to make it work (which I did a few of
> last week, and they were small syntax changes or usages of
> testtools).
>
> I don't understand how the core projects can be running unit tests
> in the gate on py26 but our functional integration project is going
> to actively go out and make it harder to run Tempest with py26, that
> sucks.
>
> If we really want to move the test project away from py26, let's
> make the concerted effort to get the core projects to move with it.

So as I said before the python 2.6 story for tempest remains the same after this
change. The only thing that we'll be doing is actively preventing nose from
working with tempest.

> And FWIW, I tried the discover.py patch with unittest2 and
> testscenarios last week and either I botched it, it's not documented
> properly on how to apply it, or I screwed something up, but it
> didn't work for me, so I'm not convinced that's the workaround.
>
> What's the other option for running Tempest on py26 (keeping RHEL 6
> in mind)?  Using tox with testr and pip?  I'm doing this all
> single-node.

Yes, that is what the discover patch is used to enable. By disabling nose the
only path to run tempest with py2.6 is to use testr. (which is what it always
should have been)

Attila confirmed it was working here:
http://fpaste.org/76651/32143139/
in that example he applies 2 patches the second one is currently in the gate for
tempest. (https://review.openstack.org/#/c/72388/ ) So all that needs to be done
is to apply that discover patch:

https://code.google.com/p/unittest-ext/issues/detail?id=79

(which I linked to before)

Then tempest should run more or less the same between 2.7 and 2.6. (The only
difference I've seen is in how skips are handled)