[openstack-dev] Interested in attracting new contributors?

Ben Nemec openstack at nemebean.com
Wed Feb 12 18:13:19 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-12 09:51, Jesse Noller wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2014, at 8:30 AM, Julie Pichon <jpichon at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Stefano's post on how to make contributions to OpenStack easier [1]
>> finally stirred me into writing about something that vkmc and myself
>> have been doing on the side for a few months to help new contributors
>> to get involved.
>>
>> Some of you may be aware of OpenHatch [2], a non-profit dedicated to
>> helping newcomers get started in open-source. About 6 months ago we
>> created a project page for Horizon [3], filled in a few high level
>> details, set ourselves up as mentors. Since then people have been
>> expressing interest in the project and a number of them got a patch
>> submitted and approved, a couple are sticking around (often helping
>> out
>> with bug triaging, as confirming new bugs is one of the few tasks one
>> can help out with when only having limited time).
>>
>> I can definitely sympathise with the comment in Stefano's article that
>> there are not enough easy tasks / simple issues for newcomers. There's
>> a lot to learn already when you're starting out (git, gerrit, python,
>> devstack, ...) and simple bugs are so hard to find - something that
>> will take a few minutes to an existing contributor will take much
>> longer for someone who's still figuring out where to get the code
>> from. Unfortunately it's not uncommon for existing contributors to
>> take
>> on tasks marked as "low-hanging-fruit" because it's only 5 minutes (I
>> can understand this coming up to an RC but otherwise
>> low-hanging-fruits
>> are often low priority nits that could wait a little bit longer). In
>> Horizon the low-hanging-fruits definitely get snatched up quickly and
>> try to keep a list of typos or other low impact, trivial bugs that
>> would make good first tasks for people reaching out via OpenHatch.
>>
>> OpenHatch doesn't spam, you get one email a week if one or more people
>> indicated they want to help. The initial effort is not time-consuming,
>> following OpenHatch's advice [4] you can refine a nice "initial
>> contact" email that helps you get people started and understand what
>> they are interested in quickly. I don't find the time commitment to be
>> too much so far, and it's incredibly gratifying to see someone
>> submitting their first patch after you answered a couple of questions
>> or helped resolve a hairy git issue. I'm happy to chat about it more,
>> if you're curious or have any questions.
>>
>> In any case if you'd like to attract more contributors to your
>> project,
>> and/or help newcomers get started in open-source, consider adding your
>> project to OpenHatch too!
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Julie
>>

> +10
>
> There’s been quite a bit of talk about this - but not necessarily on
> the dev list. I think openhatch is great - mentorship programs in
> [...]

So, glancing over the Solum page, I don't see anything specific to Solum
in there besides a few paths in examples.  It's basically a condensed
version of https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/GerritWorkflow sans a lot of
the detail.  This might be a good thing to add as a QuickStart section
on that wiki page (which is linked from the how to contribute page,
although maybe not as prominently as it should be).  But, a lot of that
detail is needed before a change is going to be accepted anyway.  I'm
not sure giving a new contributor just the bare minimum is actually
doing them any favors.  Without letting them know things like how to
format a commit message and configure their ssh keys on Gerrit, they
aren't going to be able to get a change accepted anyway and IMHO they're
likely to just give up anyway (and possibly waste some reviewer time in
the process).

That said, the GerritWorkflow page definitely needs some updates and
maybe a little condensing of its own.  For example, do we really need
distro-specific instructions for installing git-review?  How about just
"Install pip through your distro's package management tool of choice and
then run pip install git-review"?  I would hope anyone planning to
contribute to OpenStack is capable of following that.

I guess my main point is that our contributing docs could use work, but
there's also that "as simple as possible, but no simpler" thing to
consider.  And I certainly don't like that we seem to be duplicating
effort on this front.

/2 cents

-Ben