[openstack-dev] universal wheel support

Sascha Peilicke speilicke at suse.com
Tue Feb 11 10:57:28 UTC 2014

On Monday 10 February 2014 19:02:55 Doug Hellmann wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 1:14 PM, Joe Gordon <joe.gordon0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM, Doug Hellmann
> >
> > <doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com> wrote:

> > easier.

> > fact,

> > in

> > > Do we have any non-library projects that support python 3?
> >
> > yes, python-novaclient and many more
> >
> > https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Python3
>
> OK, the clients always register with me as "libraries" even though they
> include the command line programs.
>
> Are we publishing wheels for any of the service apps where python 3 is not
> supported?
>
> It seems safe to just go ahead and use the universal flag, but how much
> work is it to be "correct" and only set the flags for projects that are
> actually universal?

It depends what is viewed "actually universal". If the codebase is valid py3k
code or if it actually works. As in all deps are ready. I guess a first step
would be to bring the python3 status page up-to-date and keep that in sync
with "universal" wheels.

> What are the ramifications of not using the flag
> everywhere?

We wouldn't be ultra-correct and have to track this. But I don't see this as
realy work, it should go hand in hand with our Python3 porting efforts.
--
With kind regards,
Sascha Peilicke