[openstack-dev] XenAPI / XCP going away from Debian & Ubuntu

Bob Ball bob.ball at citrix.com
Mon Feb 10 17:05:03 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas,

> I don't agree with this view. If there's no XCP in Debian, I don't see the point
> in supporting it in OpenStack. (and no, adding support for the "magical"
> Citrix CentOS appliance blackbox isn't something I wish to do...)

All use of XenAPI in OpenStack is through a VM - even if the server is XCP in Debian - and they cannot currently be on the same machine.  Nova compute must be run in a VM running on the host you wish to manage.  This is why the arguments around the server side and client side code should be decoupled.  For example, keeping the python-xenapi package would enable a recent version of Debian to manage a XAPI XCP installation on the previous version of Debian.

> Also, there's the need of python-xenapi in OpenStack, which was provided by the xen-api sources.

I will very happily help you figure out how to get python-xenapi packaged outside of the xen-api sources.  The actual python code needed for "python-xenapi" is at https://pypi.python.org/pypi/XenAPI and is a very thin stable wrapper which is designed not to need any updates as XenAPI is extended.  As such, we expect this to be the version for the foreseeable future.

Thanks,

Bob