[openstack-dev] XenAPI / XCP going away from Debian & Ubuntu

Bob Ball bob.ball at citrix.com
Mon Feb 10 14:15:01 UTC 2014

Hi Thomas,

> This means that it will also be impossible to support XCP support in
> OpenStack, unfortunately (the support for XCP was removed a few months
> ago because that was blocking migration to Debian testing anyway).

Just a quick note - there are two separate issues here which some might confuse into one issue.

The first part of the issue is there have been XAPI XCP packages in Debian which were based on an old version of XenServer; effectively forked with CentOS-specific paths etc replaced with Debian-specific paths.  This is what is not considered to be the long-term plan for the packages in Debian and Ubuntu.  Citrix have recently been fixing the master branch of various modules such as XAPI to enable it to run on both environments, removing the distro-specific components.  As you mentioned in the email, xenserver-core provides a way to build Debian packages from that environment and we are hoping that will make a return to Debian very soon (and Ubuntu after that).

The second part is that XCP/XenServer support in OpenStack makes use of a VM which is where nova is run.  Both Debian and Ubuntu can be used as those without any XAPI XCP packages, and only need the XenAPI.py API wrapper script.  In this way Debian acts purely as a client to the "remote" XenAPI server.
As such, there is no reason that "XCP support in OpenStack" should be removed from Debian, since such support does not depend on Debian being able to act as a XCP server.

Bob