[openstack-dev] [Neutron] Support for multiple provider networks with same VLAN segmentation id

Robert Kukura rkukura at redhat.com
Mon Feb 10 02:03:08 UTC 2014

On 02/09/2014 12:56 PM, Kyle Mestery wrote:
> On Feb 6, 2014, at 5:24 PM, Vinay Bannai <vbannai at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Folks,
>>
>> We are running into a situation where we are not able to create multiple provider networks with the same VLAN id. We would like to propose a solution to remove this restriction through a configuration option. This approach would not conflict with the present behavior where it is not possible to create multiple provider networks with the same VLAN id.
>>
>> The changes should be minimal and would like to propose it for the next summit. The use case for this need is documented in the blueprint specification.
>> Any feedback or comments are welcome.
>>
>> https://blueprints.launchpad.net/neutron/+spec/duplicate-providernet-vlans
>>
> Hi Vinay:
>
> This problem seems straightforward enough, though currently you are right
> in that we don’t allow multiple Neutron networks to have the same segmentation
> ID. I’ve added myself as approver for this BP and look forward to further
> discussions of this before and during the upcoming Summit!

Multiple networks with network_type of 'vlan' are already allowed to
have the same segmentation ID with the ml2, openvswitch, or linuxbridge
plugins - the networks just need to have different physical_network
names. If they have the same network_type, physical_network, and
segmentation_id, they are the same network. What else would distinguish
them from each other?

Could your use case be addressed by simply using different
physical_network names for each rack? This would provide independent
spaces of segmentation_ids for each.

-Bob