[openstack-dev] universal wheel support

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Feb 9 00:18:09 UTC 2014

On Feb 8, 2014, at 7:08 PM, Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com> wrote:

> Hey all!
>
> There are a bunch of patches adding:
>
> [wheel]
> universal = 1
>
> to setup.cfg:
>
> https://review.openstack.org/#/q/status:open+topic:wheel-publish,n,z
>
> I wanted to follow up on what the deal is with them, and what I think we should do about them.
>
> universal means that a wheel can be made that can work with any python. That's awesome, and we want it - it makes the wheel publishing code easier. I don't think we want it turned on for any project that doesn't, in fact, support python3 - because we'd be producing a wheel that says it works in python3.
>
> To be fair - the wheel itself will work just fine in python3 - it's just the software that doesn't - and we upload tarballs right now which don't block attempts to use them in python3.
>
> SO -
>
> my pedantic side says:
>
> "Let's only land universal = 1 into python3 supporting projects"
>
> upon further reflection, I think my other side says:
>
> "It's fine, let's land it everywhere, it doesn't hurt anything, and then we can stop worrying about it"
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Monty

Techincally you can upload a Wheel that supports any Python version, but I don’t believe it’s exposed in the Wheel software at all.

However the side effect of publishing a py2 only wheel is that if someone tries to install that package using python3, instead of a Wheel they’ll download the sdist and try to install that. There’s a good chance that will install fine, just as a Wheel would, and the error won’t be discovered until they try to run it.

Essentially the wheel tags are supposed to be used to determine which Wheel is most likely to be compatible with the environment that is being installed into, it is not designed to restrict which environments a project supports. There is metadata for that in the new PEPs but nothing supports it yet.

Donald Stufft