[openstack-dev] pep8 barfs on long URL

Sean Dague sean at dague.net
Sat Feb 8 12:43:46 UTC 2014

On 02/07/2014 08:57 PM, Joe Gordon wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 6:40 AM, Jay Pipes <jaypipes at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> This would be ridiculous. :-/
>>
>> ? Why would that be ridiculous? I'm not talking about having pep8 use
>> bit.ly. I'm talking about Matthew just shortening the URL with bit.ly
>> and putting the shortened URL in the comment.
>>
>>> Isn't #noqa working on such error?
>>
>> Yes, as I mentioned in a follow up...
>
> E501 (line too long) can be disabled at the line level using the #
> noqa special comment
>
> Source:  http://pep8.readthedocs.org/en/latest/intro.html#error-codes

Sure, but honestly, putting a random url from the internet in source
code seems largely not useful. Because how long do we expect that url to
be valid? A month, a year?

The summary rationale for that should be pulled in, feel free to put
something in a review comment or the commit on upstream reference, but
having urls for external url in source code is just debt.

	-Sean

--
Sean Dague
Samsung Research America