[openstack-dev] How to write a new neutron L2 plugin using ML2 framework?

Yang, Yi Y yi.y.yang at intel.com
Sat Feb 8 03:49:46 UTC 2014

Hi, All

I want to write a new neutron L2 plugin using ML2 framework, I noticed openvswitch and linxubridge have been ported into ML2 framework, but it seems many code is removed compared to standalone L2 plugin, I guess some code has been written into a common library. Now I want to write a L2 plugin to enable switch for a SR-IOV 10g NIC, I think I need to write as follows:

1. a new mechanism driver neutron/plugins/ml2/drivers/mech_XXX.py, but from source code, it seems nothing to do.
2. a new agent neutron/plugins/XXX/ XXX_neutron_plugin.py

After this, an issue it how to let neutron know it and load it by default or by configuration. Debugging is also an issue, nobody can write code correctly once :-),  does neutron have any good debugging way for a newbie?

I'm very eager to be able to get your help and sincerely thank you in advance.