[openstack-dev] Asynchrounous programming: replace eventlet with asyncio

Chris Behrens cbehrens at codestud.com
Fri Feb 7 23:10:40 UTC 2014

On Feb 7, 2014, at 2:59 PM, Victor Stinner <victor.stinner at enovance.com> wrote:

> I don't see why external libraries should be modified. Only the few libraries
> sending HTTP queries and requests to the database should handle asyncio. Dummy
> example: the iso8601 module used to parse time doesn't need to be aware of
> asyncio.

When talking to libvirt, we don't want to block. When we're waiting on rabbit or qpid, we don't want to block. When we talk to XenAPI, we don't want to block. These are all 3rd party modules. We'd have to convert these all to work via a Thread pool, or we would have to monkey patch them like we do today.

- Chris