[openstack-dev] [WSME] Can't install WSME 0.6 due to ipaddr library

Yuriy Taraday yorik.sar at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 17:36:48 UTC 2014

The simplest way to do so is to add caching to pip and put the file to
appropriate place in the cache.
You can add this to /root/.pip/pip.conf:

[global]
download_cache = /var/cache/pip

And then put the file to
/var/cache/pip/https%3A%2F%2Fgoogledrive.com%2Fhost%2F0Bwh63zyus-UlZ1dxQ08zczVRbXc%2Fipaddr-2.1.11.tar.gz
Then add content-type file:
echo -n "application/x-gzip" >
/var/cache/pip/https%3A%2F%2Fgoogledrive.com%2Fhost%2F0Bwh63zyus-UlZ1dxQ08zczVRbXc%2Fipaddr-2.1.11.tar.gz.content-type

Pip should use this file on the next run.

Let me know if this works for you.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 8:31 PM, Matt Wagner <matt.wagner at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Fri Feb  7 08:25:24 2014, Ilya Shakhat wrote:
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> > I'm trying to install WSME 0.6, but today it fails due to inability to
> > install ipaddr dependency.
> >
> > Pip output:
> > Downloading/unpacking ipaddr (from WSME)
> >   You are installing a potentially insecure and unverifiable file.
> > Future versions of pip will default to disallowing insecure files.
> >   HTTP error 403 while getting
> >
> https://googledrive.com/host/0Bwh63zyus-UlZ1dxQ08zczVRbXc/ipaddr-2.1.11.tar.gz
> > (from http://code.google.com/p/ipaddr-py/)
> >   Could not install requirement ipaddr (from WSME) because of error
> > HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
> >
> > ipaddr is distributed via Google Drive and it appears that the quota
> > on file downloading is reached: "Sorry, you can't view or download
> > this file at this time. Too many users have viewed or downloaded this
> > file recently...." message is shown if url is opened in browser.
> >
> > The dependency was introduced by
> > commit
> https://github.com/stackforge/wsme/commit/f191f32a722ef0c2eaad71dd33da4e7787ac2424
> > ipaddr is used for IP validation purposes.
> >
> > Can ipaddr be replaced by some other library? I suspect the validation
> > code should already exist at least in Neutron.
>
> Hi Ilya,
>
> I'm tripping over the very same issue right now.
>
> I was able to obtain the file by copying it to my own Google Drive and
> then downloading it, as a short-term workaround. But when I manually
> install it, the venv installation still tries to download the Google
> Drive version and fails. I'm still pretty new to pip; is there a way to
> force it to use a different location? Is there any value in me making
> the version I downloaded available to people?
>
> --
> Matt Wagner
> Software Engineer, Red Hat

Kind regards, Yuriy.