[openstack-dev] [Neutron][QA] Making tests symmetric again

Salvatore Orlando sorlando at nicira.com
Fri Feb 7 14:05:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

By merging patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/53459/, full tenant
isolation has been turned on for neutron API tests.
We have executed a few experimental checks before merging and we found out
that the isolated jobs were always passing.

However, the gating jobs both in tempest and nova do not turn on tenant
isolation for neutron.
As a result we are unable to know how a new test or nova patch might
affects the neutron isolated jobs, on which neutron is gating.

In particular, the patch https://review.openstack.org/#/c/58697/ introduces
a load balancing scenario which fails the isolated jobs (only them) most of
the time. The scenario itself seems fairly well designed and therefore it
might have uncovered a neutron issue.

The problem is that now the neutron gate is seeing a high failure rate,
whereas if we turned tenant isolation on for gating jobs in tempest and
nova we would have found out about this issue before merging the load
balancing scenario. I think therefore it might be a good idea to:

- switch neutron jobs to isolated in nova and tempest
- do not executed anymore non-isolated jobs for neutron. I think this was
always the plan anyway.

Regards,
Salvatore