[openstack-dev] Ready to import Launchpad Answers into Ask OpenStack

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Thu Feb 6 17:07:56 UTC 2014

Hello folks,

we're ready to import the answers from Launchpad into Ask OpenStack. A
script will import all questions, answers, comments (and data abou user
accounts) from LP into Ask, tag them as the project of origin (nova,
swift, etc). You can see the results of the test runs on
http://ask-staging.openstack.org/en/questions/
For example, the questions migrated from LP Answers Swift are
http://ask-staging.openstack.org/en/questions/scope:all/sort:activity-desc/tags:swift/page:1/

We'll try also to sync accounts already existing on Ask with those
imported from LP, matching on usernames, OpenID and email addresses as
exposed by LP API. If there is no match, a new account will be created.

I'm writing to you to make sure that you're aware of this effort and to
ask you if you are really, adamantly against closing LP Answers. In case
you are against, I'll try to convince you otherwise :)

You can see the history of the effort and its current status on

https://bugs.launchpad.net/openstack-community/+bug/1212089

Next step is to set a date to run the import. The process will be:

 1 - run the import script
 2 - put Ask down for maintenance
 3 - import data into Ask
 4 - check that it run correctly
 5 - close all LP Answers, reconfigure LP projects to redirect to Ask

I think we can run this process one project at the time so we minimize
interruptions. If the PTLs authorize me I think I have the necessary
permissions to edit LP Answers, remove the archives from the public once
the data is replicated correctly on Ask, so you can focus on coding.

Let me know what you think about closing LP Answers, use Ask exclusively
to handle support requests and about delegating to me closing LP Answers
for your projects.

Cheers,
stef