[openstack-dev] [PTL] Designating "required use" upstream code

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Feb 6 13:42:15 UTC 2014

Russell Bryant wrote:
> Perhaps going through this process for a single project first would be
> helpful.  I agree that some clarification is needed on the details of
> the expected result.

At this point, I think we can break their request into two separate
questions.

The first one is high level, simple and technical: "which parts of each
project have a pluggable interface ?" We should be able to list those in
an objective fashion, and feed objective input into the second question.

The second question is more subjective: "where, in that list, is it
acceptable to run an out of tree implementation ?" Where would you say
you can substitute code in Nova and still consider running the resulting
beast is running nova ? The scheduler for example was explicitly
designed so that you can plug your own algorithm -- so I think an out of
tree scheduler class is fine... so I would exclude the scheduler classes
(ChanceScheduler and others) from the "designated sections".

Since that second question is more subjective, I think the answer should
be a recommendation that the TC would collect and pass to the board.

As a first step, I think we should answer the technical first question.
There is no imposed format for the answer, so any freeform list will do.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)