[openstack-dev] [nova][ceilometer] ceilometer unit tests broke because of a nova patch

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 18:53:30 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:35 AM, Julien Danjou <julien at danjou.info> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 04 2014, Joe Gordon wrote:
>
>> Ceilometer running a plugin in nova is bad (for all the reasons
>> previously discussed),
>
> Well, I partially disagree. Are you saying that nobody is allowed to run
> a plugin in Nova? So what are these plugins in the first place?
> Or if you're saying that Ceilometer cannot have plugins in Nova, I would
> like to know why.

Dan explained it well in another email.

Is the plugin run in devstack? I couldn't seem to find the code that
enables the ceilometer plugin in nova.

> What is wrong, I agree, is that we have to use and mock nova internals
> to test our plugins. OTOH anyone writing plugin for Nova will have the
> same issue. To which extend this is a problem with the plugin system,
> I'll let everybody thing about it. :)

Yup, the nova plugin system is not a stable API and we don't make any
guarantees about plugins working after an upgrade.  In other words
plugins will inventively break (which is why I would prefer to not use
them upstream).