[openstack-dev] [PTL] Designating "required use" upstream code

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 18:11:33 UTC 2014

On 02/05/2014 12:54 PM, Jonathan Bryce wrote:
> On Feb 5, 2014, at 11:12 AM, Mark McLoughlin <markmc at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> I don't have a big issue with the way the Foundation currently enforces
>> "you must use the code" - anyone who signs a trademark agreement with
>> the Foundation agrees to "include the entirety of" Nova's code. That's
>> very vague, but I assume the Foundation can terminate the agreement if
>> it thinks the other party is acting in bad faith.
>>
>> Basically, I'm concerned about us swinging from a rather lax "you must
>> include our code" rule to an overly strict "you must make no downstream
>> modifications to our code”.
>
> I tend to agree with you for the most part. As they exist today, the trademark licenses include a couple of components: legally agreeing to use the code in the projects specified (requires self certification from the licensee) and passing the approved test suite once it exists (which adds a component requiring external validation of behavior). By creating the test suite and selecting required capabilities that can be externally validated through the test suite, we would take a step in tightening up the usage and consistency enforceable by our existing legal framework.
>
> I think that "designated sections” could provide a useful construct for better general guidance on where the extension points to the codebase are. From a practical standpoint, it would probably be pretty difficult to efficiently audit an overly strict definition of the designated sections and this would still be a self certifying requirement on the licensee.

Another thing to consider is that like many other implementation
details, this stuff is rapidly evolving.  I'm a bit worried about the
nightmare of trying to keep the definitions up to date, much less agreed
upon by all parties involved.

The vague "include the entirety of" statement is in line with what I
feel is appropriate for Nova.  I suspect that I would disagree with some
interpretations of that, though.

--
Russell Bryant