[openstack-dev] [Openstack-docs] Conventions on naming

Jonathan Bryce jbryce at jbryce.com
Wed Feb 5 17:38:37 UTC 2014

On Feb 5, 2014, at 10:18 AM, Steve Gordon <sgordon at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

In this case, we are talking about documentation that is produced and distributed with the integrated release to cover the Core OpenStack Project and the “modules" that are distributed together with the Core OpenStack Project in the integrated release. This is the intended use case for the exception Mark quoted above from the Bylaws, and I think it is perfectly fine to refer to the integrated components in the OpenStack release documentation as OpenStack components.

>> What Steve is asking IMO is whether we have to change "OpenStack
>> Telemetry" to "Ceilometer module" or whether we can just say "Telemetry"
>> without the OpenStack in front of it,
>>
>> Andreas
>
> Constraining myself to the topic of what we should be using in the documentation, yes this is what I'm asking. This makes more sense to me than switching to calling them the "Heat module" and "Ceilometer module" because:
>
> 1) It resolves the issue of using the OpenStack mark where it (apparently) shouldn't be used.
> 2) It means we're still using the "formal" name for the program as defined by the TC [1] (it is my understanding this remains the purview of the TC, it's control of the mark that the board are exercising here).
> 3) It is a more minor change/jump and therefore provides more continuity and less confusion to readers (and similarly if one of them ever becomes endorsed as core and we need to switch again).
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve
>
> [1] http://git.openstack.org/cgit/openstack/governance/tree/reference/programs.yaml

It’s possible that in the future the Board may adjust the language to be explicitly more restrictive. In that case, I would agree with Steve that it would still make sense to still use the approved generic names on their own without the mark in the documentation rather than the codenames.

Jonathan