[openstack-dev] [PTL] Designating "required use" upstream code

Russell Bryant rbryant at redhat.com
Wed Feb 5 17:05:28 UTC 2014

On 02/05/2014 11:22 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> (This email is mostly directed to PTLs for programs that include one
> integrated project)
>
> The DefCore subcommittee from the OpenStack board of directors asked the
> Technical Committee yesterday about which code sections in each
> integrated project should be "designated sections" in the sense of [1]
> (code you're actually needed to run or include to be allowed to use the
> trademark). That determines where you can run alternate code (think:
> substitute your own private hypervisor driver) and still be able to call
> the result openstack.
>
> [1] https://wiki.openstack.org/wiki/Governance/CoreDefinition
>
> PTLs and their teams are obviously the best placed to define this, so it
> seems like the process should be: PTLs propose designated sections to
> the TC, which blesses them, combines them and forwards the result to the
> DefCore committee. We could certainly leverage part of the governance
> repo to make sure the lists are kept up to date.
>
> Comments, thoughts ?

The process you suggest is what I would prefer.  (PTLs writing proposals
for TC to approve)

Using the governance repo makes sense as a means for the PTLs to post
their proposals for review and approval of the TC.

Who gets final say if there's strong disagreement between a PTL and the
TC?  Hopefully this won't matter, but it may be useful to go ahead and
clear this up front.

--
Russell Bryant