[openstack-dev] why do we put a license in every file?

Joe Gordon joe.gordon0 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 17:04:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 8:29 AM, Greg Hill <greg.hill at rackspace.com> wrote:
> I'm new, so I'm sure there's some history I'm missing, but I find it bizarre that we have to put the same license into every single file of source code in our projects.  In my past experience, a single LICENSE file at the root-level of the project has been sufficient to declare the license chosen for a project.  Github even has the capacity to choose a license and generate that file for you, it's neat.

We do it for the same reason apache does it:

"Why is a licensing header necessary?

License headers allow someone examining the file to know the terms for
the work, even when it is distributed without the rest of the
distribution. Without a licensing notice, it must be assumed that the
author has reserved all rights, including the right to copy, modify,
and redistribute."

http://www.apache.org/legal/src-headers.html