[openstack-dev] olso.config error on running Devstack

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Feb 5 15:05:45 UTC 2014

On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 5:14 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:

>  On 2014-01-08 12:14, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>

> On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 12:37 PM, Ben Nemec <openstack at nemebean.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2014-01-08 11:16, Sean Dague wrote:
>>
>>> On 01/08/2014 12:06 PM, Doug Hellmann wrote:
>>> <snip>

>>> Doing the git thing is definitely not the right thing. But I guess I got
>>> lost somewhere along the way about what the actual problem is. Can
>>> someone write that up concisely? With all the things that have been
>>> tried/failed, why certain things fail, etc.
>>
>>  The problem seems to be when we pip install -e oslo.config on the
>> system, then pip install oslo.sphinx in a venv.  oslo.config is unavailable
>> in the venv, apparently because the namespace package for o.s causes the
>> egg-link for o.c to be ignored.  Pretty much every other combination I've
>> tried (regular pip install of both, or pip install -e of both, regardless
>> of where they are) works fine, but there seem to be other issues with all
>> of the other options we've explored so far.
>>
>> We can't remove the pip install -e of oslo.config because it has to be
>> used for gating, and we can't pip install -e oslo.sphinx because it's not a
>> runtime dep so it doesn't belong in the gate.  Changing the toplevel
>> package for oslo.sphinx was also mentioned, but has obvious drawbacks too.
>>
>> I think that about covers what I know so far.
>

>  Here's a link dstufft provided to the pip bug tracking this problem:
> https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/3
>
> Doug
>
>   This just bit me again trying to run unit tests against a fresh Nova
> tree.    I don't think it's just me either - Matt Riedemann said he has
> been disabling site-packages in tox.ini for local tox runs.  We really need
> to do _something_ about this, even if it's just disabling site-packages by
> default in tox.ini for the affected projects.  A different option would be
> nice, but based on our previous discussion I'm not sure we're going to find
> one.
>
> Thoughts?

Is the problem isolated to oslo.sphinx? That is, do we end up with any
configurations where we have 2 oslo libraries installed in different modes
(development and "regular") where one of those 2 libraries is not
oslo.sphinx? Because if the issue is really just oslo.sphinx, we can rename
that to move it out of the namespace package.

Doug