[openstack-dev] [Neutron] backporting database migrations to stable/havana

Ralf Haferkamp rhafer at suse.de
Wed Feb 5 11:05:20 UTC 2014

On Wed, Feb 05, 2014 at 11:31:55AM +0100, Thierry Carrez wrote:
> Ralf Haferkamp wrote:
> > I am currently trying to backport the fix for
> > https://launchpad.net/bugs/1254246 to stable/havana. The current state of that
> > is here: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/68929/
> >
> > However, the fix requires a database migration to be applied (to add a unique
> > constraint to the agents table). And the current fix linked above will AFAIK
> > break havana->icehouse migrations. So I wonder what would be the correct way to
> > do backport database migrations in neutron using alembic? Is there even a
> > correct way, or are backports of database migrations a no go?
>
> FWIW our StableBranch policy[1] generally forbids DB schema changes in
> stable branches.
Hm, I must have overlooked that when reading through the document recently.
Thanks for clarifying I guess I have to find another way to workaround the
above mentioned bug then.

Though it seems there can be exceptions from that rule. At least nova adds a
set of blank migrations (for sqlalchemy in nova's case) at the beginning of a
new development cylce (at least since havana) to be able to backport migrations
to stable. (It seems though, that no backport ever happened for nova).

--
Ralf