[openstack-dev] Ugly Hack to deal with multiple versions

Jesse Noller jesse.noller at RACKSPACE.COM
Tue Feb 4 19:55:57 UTC 2014

On Feb 4, 2014, at 1:28 PM, Sean Dague <sean at dague.net> wrote:

> On 02/05/2014 01:50 AM, Jesse Noller wrote:

>>> Ok, much clearer now to me (though I'll still claim jetlag for some bits
>>> not sinking in).
>>>
>>> I think a really important thing to keep in mind is any solution that's
>>> implemented client side, is something that all the other OpenStack SDKs
>>> are going to have to implement as well. So an ugly hack isn't just
>>> python-keystone... and be done. It's also just hoisted doing that ugly
>>> hack on the php / go sdk teams, jclouds, deltacloud, etc. Something they
>>> may not be aware is going to break them, or their users.
>>
>> Do we have official openstack PHP / go SDKs?
>
> Official is a strong word, but we do have stackforge teams active on it:
> * https://github.com/stackforge/openstack-sdk-php
> * https://github.com/stackforge/golang-client
>
> And I think we should should be mindful of their work to make OpenStack
> easily accessible from their language communities.

Oh for sure - but I was wondering because there’s also:

jclouds (java): http://jclouds.apache.org/

php-opencloud (php): https://github.com/rackspace/php-opencloud

fog (ruby): http://fog.io/

libcloud (python):  http://libcloud.apache.org/

gophercloud (go): https://github.com/rackspace/gophercloud

openstack .net (.net): https://github.com/rackspace/openstack.net

So finding a go client and php one one stackforge is surprising - wondering if we can combine efforts - on my end I have full time people staffing *just* the client-side SDKs across all of these. So yes - we are sensitive to API changes.

Jesse